"Savoury oats is a quick and easy breakfast idea when you’re in a rush or you can also make it for your dinner when you dont feel like putting it too much work but still want a healthy choice of meal."
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
What makes Savoury oats healthy?
The glycemic index of Steel cut oats and Instant is 55 and 83 respectively. Having not terribly high GI, steel cut oats can be included in your diet. Oats also consist of a polysaccharide called β-glucan. A study was approved in 1997 by the FDA that claimed intake of oat β-glucan at daily amounts of at least 3g lowers total and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels by 5 to 10% in people with normal or elevated blood cholesterol levels. Heart healthy and delish, what more do you want?
Ingredients you’ll need for Savoury Oats
½ cup Steel cut oats
½ medium sized onion, diced
1 tomato, diced
¼ Carrot, grated
¼ Jalapeño, sliced
½ tsp Paprika
½ tsp turmeric
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt (to taste)
Cilantro (to garnish)
Steps to make Savoury oats
- Step 1 : In a pan, sauté the onions in a little splash of oil till they are softened.
- Step 2 : Add the tomatoes, carrots and the spices to the pan and let it sit, stirring occasionally till they are all soft and come together.
- Step 3 : Add in the jalapeño pepper and sufficient water and lemon juice and wait for the boil.
- Step 4 : Once the boil appears, add in the oats and cover the pan.
- Step 5 : When the oats are thoroughly cooked, turn off the heat and garnish with chopped cilantro and enjoy hot!